ARTH has been providing RCH services in its field area through four health centres at Mallatalai (urban), Iswal, Lakmawato ka Guda (rural) and Paneriyo ki Bhagal (rural). At Urban health clinic and Paneriyo ki Bhagal Clinic, nurse midwives provide RCH services from 9 am to 5 pm 6 days a week with weekly visit by gynecologist.
At rural health clinics centre, nurse-midwives provide RCH services 24 hours / 7 days a week and emergency services round the clock. A gynaecologist visits LKG centre twice a week and Iswal centre once a week. A paediatrician also visits Iswal clinic once in a week.
The RCH services provided at the health centres include :
- 24×7 delivery services and management/ referral for maternal-newborn complications
- IMNCI management for children and primary health care by nurse-midwives
- Safe abortion services (first trimester)
- Reversible methods of contraception
- Gynaecological services, including infertility management
- Laboratory facilities to do basic investigations
ARTH’s health centres demonstrate that trained nurses are capable of providing a wide range of maternal- neonatal services and managing complications in the absence of a doctor. An active system of referral (counselling for decision making, arranging transport, providing subsidy for poor, accompanying the patient till referral hospital) allows majority of patients to receive referral care for complications.